16 May 2012

Into the North East

The day started with sunshine, blue skies and a chilly W/NW breeze. Heading down towards Newbiggin I was glad I had stopped where I did rather than pushing on further on Monday; the landing spots didn't look too good.
There was still a bit of a swell running and this would continue all day - 2-4ft with a handful of 6ft wandering through every now and then.
The tide was going nicely and I had a little time in hand so I popped in for a brief visit to see Pat Murray at the Sunderland Marine Activities Centre on Roker Beach. Unfortunately my stay was all too brief but Pat kindly ran me up to Morrisons for a few more supplies (cakes). Thanks to Helen, Fergus and Ian for helping to shift the boat - it took 4 of us to lift it!
I was back on the water before I got too comfortable and soon heading south again. The cloud had returned and the chilly breeze was even chillier, a touch stronger now but still a cross-wind and no real problem. Down the coast to land at Crimdon Dene just N of Hartlepool, quite pleased - good miles, more food, a pleasant stop to meet Pat again and a refreshing change of coastline - not a bad day.
Mission Control had found a campsite for me as I couldn't find anything on my map, unfortunately it took a 45min trolley pull to get here! The midges are also biting, and I survived the whole of Scotland without a single bite! Is this some evil conspiracy by Mr Salmond?

Headwinds from tomorrow again I believe.
Sent from my phone

No comments: